In Hot Water

 



In Hot Water

by Jeremy Yarbrough

    There are so many things we take for granted for instance, indoor plumbing and running water.  There is never a dull moment at my home.  Last Monday night while in the shower I discovered we had run out of hot water.  I immediately let my mom know of this problem.  It was not because other family members had used it all before me but something much worse.  Our 28-year-old hot water heater had heated its last tank of H2O.

    I went under the house to check things out.  Upon a quick look everything appeared dry so we assumed it was a bad heating element that possibly could be replaced with little cost.  Then I heard the sound of pouring water, but saw none.  First thing in the morning the plumber was summoned.  When the plumber arrived, he found the old water heater was indeed beyond repair and discovered the sound of the pouring water.  The pressure buildup from the broken heater had caused a pipe to burst at one of the outdoor faucets.  The water damage is something that will need to be assessed by a separate water damage company.

    The plumber was able to replace the old water heater, fix the broken pipes and install a new outdoor faucet in a few hours.  Hopefully, the water damage will not be too extensive.  The invoice the plumber issued was really more than I thought it would end up being.  Maybe I should reconsider my career path.  However, after being without hot water for a few days really makes one appreciate the simple things in life that we take for granted.  It will be nice to be in hot water tonight!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Harebrained Adventures

Recycle, It's Important

Thanksgiving Buffet