World's Finest Food

 



World's Finest Food

by Jeremy Yarbrough


    One of the best parts of living in Davidson County has to be the availability of barbecue.  Everywhere you go there is a barbecue restaurant.  When we have family or friends come from out of town, they always want to go have barbecue and it has to be at Lexington Barbecue there off of Business 85.  I have to admit it is my favorite restaurant to get the most delicious food on the planet.

    For the last 15 years, I always get the same thing when I go for lunch or dinner.  One chopped barbecue sandwich, one large order of French fries and a large Cheerwine.  It never fails to satisfy my hankering for good barbecue.  However, a month or so ago, I had my first bad experience eating there.  Not because of the food or service but because of my food allergies.

    I had ordered my usual order.  The first thing I pulled out of the bag was the sandwich.  I unwrapped it and took bite and noticed the bun as a bit more yellow than usual.  After checking with my mom, she recognized the bun's bread to be potato bread and not the usual Flowers brand bread they normally use.  I am deathly allergic to anything containing milk products and potato bread contains milk.  Immediately, I could feel the itching and swelling in my mouth and throat.  Fortunately, I was able to take some Benadryl, prep my EpiPen and remove as much as I could from my system.  It was a close call and I wish the restaurant had made me aware they had changed the bun types before I had taken that one bite.

    This has not changed my love for barbecue.  It has made me more aware of how careful I need to be when eating out in any restaurant, even if I have been eating there for years.  Now I just have to purchase a tray of chopped barbecue and bring my own bun or even better get a pint of barbecue to bring home and make my very own.  We are lucky to live in a place with such good food!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Harebrained Adventures

Recycle, It's Important

Thanksgiving Buffet