Necessary Visit

 




Necessary Visit

by Jeremy Yarbrough


    The semiannual visit to the dentist is coming up and it is always something I dread.  It is certainly not the people working at the office that is so dreadful, in fact this is the most enjoyable part of the visit.  I have gone to the same dentist since I was two years old so the staff know me and my family well. It is a small office with only about four hygienists The two ladies who work in the front office who check patients in and schedule appointment as patients are leaving always greet me by name as soon as I walk into the building.

    Each time I go in for my twice a year cleaning, I typically have the same nice dental hygienist named Ashley who cleans my teeth.  She always asks what is going on with me and how I am doing in school and if I am working a part time job.   Ashley usually tells me about her most recent trips and keeps me up to date on the latest movies she recommends.  She enjoys sharing her love of flamingos because her exam room is decorated with all sorts of the pink birds, there is even a florescent flaming on her office wall.

    The part of the visit I do not look forward to is the actual cleaning of the teeth.  All the scraping and sounds of the equipment in my mouth is not a pleasant experience.  This usually takes about 30 minutes to get all of my teeth cleaned.  The very worst part is if they have to take x-rays.  Thank goodness these are not required every year. 

    The last part of the visit is when the dentist comes in for the report from the hygienist.  He is an excellent doctor and has a good sense of humor.  They always recommend using an electric toothbrush and tell me to remember to floss twice a day.

    My teeth feel extra clean as I am making my way out of the exam room.  The last stop is to check out at the front desk.  This is where they schedule me for my next appointment six months into the future.  When I am driving out of the parking lot it is a great sense of relief and it feels good to know I have clean teeth and no problems in my mouth.  Going to the dentist is not the most fun thing to do but we can all agree it is a necessary visit to have a great smile. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Harebrained Adventures

Recycle, It's Important

Thanksgiving Buffet